All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Engelsk-dansk ordbog

BETA Online Dictionary English-Danish: Enter keyword here!
 ÆØÅæ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Dänisch-Englisch
 Email subject transaltion »
« need help with translation    

English-Danish Translation of
Help translating

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
Help translating Danish baptism record?  
by bluemion (US/DE), 2012-03-04, 15:15  Spam?  
Hello all,

My great-grandfather and great-grandparents are Danish, from Svendborg.  I am trying to research Danish records, but running into trouble translating certain documents with accuracy.  Can anyone out there translate the following:

1835, 29. april. *Rasmus Nielsen, Slegfredsbarn, se anm., Hjemmedøbt samme Dag, I Kirken 24. maj. Maren Rasmusdatter, Indsidder for Broderen,
Gaardmand Niels Rasmussen paa Grønneskov, Faderen, Tjenestekarl i Svendborg, Niels Lykkesen af Brænderup. Faddere: Anne Pedersdatter,
Gaardmandskone i Brænderup, Niels Rasmussen, Christen Mogensen og Christen Rasmussen, Kirsten Rasmuses, Gaardmandskone paa
Grønneskov. Anmærkninger: I Henhold til Sunds Gudme Herredsfogeds Lehns Birkedommers Navnebevis 2. december 1905, er hans fulde Navn;
*Rasmus Nielsen Tangaa, (O.P.A. C 861/1905).

Any help would be appreciated so much...thanks in advance!
Answer:
You're in luck  #649681
by Dopa, 2012-04-02, 04:31  Spam?  93.160.59...
1835, april. *Rasmus Nielsen, born out of marriage(slegfredsbarn), see mark(refers  to the star), homebabtised same day, in church 24th of may(it might mean that he was batised in the church of his "village"). Maren Rasmusdatter(Maren daughter of Rasmus) lives with her brother, Gaardman(farmworker) Niels Rasmussen (works) on a farm called Grønneskov, father, worker in Svenborg, Niels Lykkesen of Brænderup.
Faddere**: Anne Pedersdatter(daughter of Peder), farmwife in Brænderup, Niels Rasmussen, Christen Mogensen and Christen Rasmussen, Kirsten Rasmuses, farmwife(Kirsten) of Grønneskov.
In reference to Sunds Gudme judge*** Lehns Brikedommer nameproof nr. 2 of December 1905, is his full name:
*Rasmus Nielsen Tangaa. O.P.A. is a reference to a name change he had in 1905, from what i can understand from church logs people normally changed it if they lived in a certain area or on a certain farm, in this case it's a Farm/area called Tangaa.

i can understand if it's hard to desipher, but from what i understand is Maren the mother of Rasmus and Niels is the Father and since they're not married he's been givin the name of Marens Brother or Father hense the "daughter of Rasmus".

feel free to email me with questions, Good luck :)

-Magnus

**(fadder is a witness to the babtism that promise to secure that the child has a christian moral childhood in case of the parents deaths, and there can be a maximum of 5 "fadder")
***Herrefoged was a kind of judge or policechief untill 1919
Answer:
The other problem I'm having with it...  #650583
by bluemion (US/DE), 2012-04-06, 13:54  Spam?  
Hallo Magnus,

Thanks so much for the translation!  I would have emailed you, but I don't see how I can on this page.  I have another problem with the translation.  The translation you already did is actually one of two baptism records of different Rasmus Nielsens from almost the exact same time, in the exact same parish.  I am trying to find out which one, exactly, is my distant grandfather, but they were both born a little over a month apart, in the same parish, and both had name changes later on that indicated their village...but their villages were also ONLY 10 MILES APART!!!  So frustrating!  Here's the other baptism record that I need to translate, for Rasmus Nielsen "number two":  

"1835, 4. maj. *Rasmus Nielsen, Døbt i Kirken 8. juni. Gaardmand Niels Rasmussen paa Grønneskov og Hustru. Faddere: Kirsten Rasmusdatter,
Gaardmandskone paa Grønneskov, Christen Rasmussen, Rasmus Rasmussen, Ungkarle ibid., Jacob Hansen Væver i Oure, Margrete Larsdatter,
Gaardmandskone i Vormark. Anmærkninger: I Henhold til Sunds Gudme Herredsfogeds Lehns Birkedommers Navnebevis 1. juli 1905, er hans
fulde Navn; *Rasmus Nielsen Grønneskov, (O.P.A. C 445/1905)."

I totally appreciate your help, Magnus!!!  This is going to help me put the puzzle together!

Damion

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
English-Danish online dictionary (Engelsk-dansk ordbog) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads